So here’s a nice little gotcha that’s not covered in any Earthlink documentation: when you set up a subdomain with Earthlink, you need to also set up an A Record within the DNS settings. I figured that was probably the case and set up A records but still couldn’t access the subdomain through a Web browser. I finally called up tech support and after 20 minutes and being put on hold 5 times, they told me that setting up the A records was the right way to set up the subdomain but that I needed to wait 24-72 hours for it to take effect.
So here’s some quick instructions for any other poor Earthlink customers to set up their subdomain:
- Log into your control panel at cc.earthlink.net.
- Click on Manage Domain and then Add Subdomain.
- In the popup, add your new subdomain. Close when finished.
- Back at the Manage Domain page, click on DNS Records.
- Go down to the A Records section and click on the create new record link.
- Keep it as Record type A, enter your subdomain, and for the destination IP address use the same one that’s already being used for your www A record.
- Click on add record and then wait 24-72 hours for it to propagate.