Installing ColdFusion 10 on Windows Server 2008 R2

By December 28, 2012 Programming No Comments

NOTE: I’m going to keep this post on my website but installing CF10 on Plesk 11/IIS7.5 is problematic at best since Plesk only supports up to CF8. While it probably is possible, the support is simply not there. After experiencing a few more issues after the ones documented below, I finally just removed Plesk altogether and installed/configured IIS, CF10, and mySQL manually. That ended up being much easier than the nightmare of getting CF10 to work with Plesk!

I ran across a few issues tonight while setting up a GoDaddy VPS using Plesk. I found a few articles that definitely helped which I’ll share below but what finally did the trick was setting up each CF site separately within Adobe’s Web Server Configuration tool and specifically not using the ‘All’ option.

  1. The first issue was after installing ColdFusion, I was getting a 404 error. I checked to make sure all the Windows Features were installed correctly following this post: Installing ColdFusion on IIS 7 + Configure IIS for ColdFusion in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 and adapting it to the differences in IIS 7. They were all fine. The issue was that I need to copy the CFIDE folder to the inetpub/vhosts/default/htdocs folder.
  2. The next issue was that I was getting a CGI error. This was solved by editing the ISAPI and CGI restrictions as specified at this post: The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the ISAPI and CGI Restriction list settings on the Web server.
  3. This resulting in the final 500 error where the CFM mappings just weren’t working. From the post mentioned in #1 and IIS7.5 and ColdFusion10(Developer) I was able to piece together that it was an issue that could be resolved by specifying the website in the web server configuration tool.
That got me up and running!
Addendum:
At least I thought I had it up and running. I then ran across an issue with another 500 error that the urlprotect.dll ISAPI filter wasn’t working. Deleting this (as suggested at Error message when you visit a Web site that is hosted on IIS 7.0: “HTTP Error 500.0 – Internal Server Error”) worked though.